Thursday, July 26, 2012

I'm Baaaaack

After a three month maternity leave from all activities (outside of diapers and spit up), I'm baaaack.  I missed you all very much.  I also am overwhelmed with all that I need to catch you up on.

Well, let's start with my labor & delivery.

Week 40 came and went... Baby Addison had made herself comfortable and there was NO sign of her leaving.  Weekly checks showed no change in my cervix and no contractions.  Finally, my doctor said dreaded the word-- "induction".  My plans for a natural childbirth were a little shaken, however, I was still determined to try.
Most people who undergo induction are given pitocin to start contractions. I actually had started contractions  Monday morning.  I, however, had a hard and posterior cervix, in no condition to have a baby, so I had to start with Cytotec, which my doula referred to as "the big gun", in order to prepare my cervix and induce labor.  So, Monday evening, April 16, I checked into the hospital with my husband.  Cytotec was administered every few hours through out the night. At one point, I was bleeding, which having consulted with Dr. Google thoroughly freaked me out because apparently Cytotec increases the chance of uterine rupture. However, after being reassured by the nurses, I was able to catch a few disturbed zzzzs.  By the morning, I was dilated....wait for it... ONE measly centimeter!
So, the next step started at 9:30 the next morning---Pitocin.  Now, Pitocin is what I had been wanting to avoid.  I had heard some nicknames for Pitocin, several were variations of the red guy who lives in eternal fire...Not my idea of fun...
I had heard that a natural childbirth with Pit was much more difficult because Pit contractions are much stronger, intense, and closer together, so I gave myself the goal of getting to at least 5cm with out an epidural.
A little later that morning, my doctor came in to do a cervical check.  He decided to break my water since I was only at 2cm.  There was meconium in the water, indicating fetal distress.  Once the water was broken, the baby's heart rate became erratic, indicating more distress.
I continued to labor.  I was handling the contractions well with out the epidural, however the cervical checks were increasingly painful.  The doctor continued to monitor the baby's heart, which was still beating irregularly and was of concern.  I was given an internal fetal monitor, the most painful experience of the whole day, as well as amnioinfusion to replace the water in the amniotic sack and cushion the distressed baby.  After the pain of the internal fetal monitor, I was ready for the epidural.  I was 6cm and had made it to   my goal of 5cm.  It was now around 4:30pm.
The epidural was like Disney land. I could smile, breathe, sleep, and hold conversations. Just as I was relaxing and basking in my new found comfort, my doctor informed me that the baby was tachycardic (fast heart beat) and was responding to contractions in a concerning manner. He said it was in the best interest of the baby to perform an emergency c-section.  I, of course, said yes right away.  None of my plans for a natural, vaginal delivery mattered to me at all in that moment, the only thing I cared about was my baby.
At 6pm I went in for surgery.  At 6:40pm, I heard the most beautiful cry that brought tears to my eyes.  My healthy, big baby girl was born.  With a full head of hair and alert eyes, my heart melted and I was instantly in LOVE.

Addison Sarah Emily 4/17/12 6:40pm
8 lbs 5 oz
20 1/2 inches

We ordered a stork for our front yard


Going home

10 days old


My most perfect gift from God.  Love her!

No comments:

Post a Comment