Monday, December 19, 2011

Doula

After watching a documentary called "The Business of Baby", recommended by my cousin, I have decided to seek the assistance of a doula during my delivery.  According to the DONA website, the use of a doula often results in shorter labors, & reduces the need for pitocin, epidurals, & pain medication. In addition, the doula offers consistent emotional support to the mother.  Doulas often use music, massage, aromatherapy, and other techniques to make the experience more comfortable for the mother.  Unlike the busy nurses in the hospital, they are able to dedicate their assistance to only you.
Doulas are helpful to your spouse as well.  They take the pressure off of your spouse, with out taking away from his experience and involvement.  Doulas will be as involved as you would like them to be.  Usually you meet with your doula multiple times prior to birth in order to develop a birth plan.
Many of the doulas I found also specialize in lactation and offer tips and help with breast feeding.
Doulas range from 300-1000 dollars.  I think it is worth the money because of the individualized support and treatment you receive.
I have scheduled to meet with two local doulas to see which one I would like to work with.
Tip to those who are considering using a doula, schedule early, they book up fast!




No comments:

Post a Comment