Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Learning to be a bum-genius!


When I first started fertility treatments, I began looking into various parenting options and made some decisions of what I wanted to do when I finally did become pregnant.  One of the important decisions I made was to use mainly cloth diapers. In the pursuit of being environmentally friendly, financially friendly, and most importantly, "Au natural":  cloth seemed like the best fit for me.
As my due date draws closer, I decided to start really looking into buying/registering for some cloth diapers. Who knew that this wasn't so cut and dry as it seemed?  The doll babies I had when I was little had a little piece of cloth secured with pastel colored large safety pins to cover all the messy spots.  Oh no, that is not the case these days.  There is a whole cloth subculture:  types, brands, covers, blogs, accessories, stores..the list goes on and on...
It is overwhelming- thankfully I have I have 2 friends who are both on child number 2 using cloth.  They have hooked me up with advice and websites with valuable information. Still with these virtual cloth tour guides, there is so much to take in.
My tentative plan is to use primarily cloth unless I am going out for an extended period of time or leaving the baby at the church nursery.  I am considering using pre-folds when the baby is a new born and then switching to All In Ones when the baby is a bit bigger.  Prefolds are the basic cloth that you secure with a fastener.  The All in Ones (AIO) have a waterproof outer layer and do not require a diaper cover.  They close with snappies or velcro. I love the colors and designs that they come in and have heard a lot about the brand, Bum genius.

I am going to be making an appointment at a local cloth diaper store and they will walk me through my options and how to successfully use cloth.  I will keep you posted on how this journey goes. I am having fun so far!

1 comment: